Last week we had 50 participants in our first virtual jam – so fun! We hope you will join us this week as the jam is hosted by Brian Fergus, local uke teacher and player.
We heard from some of you last week that you’d appreciate some support in understanding and using ZOOM. Check out this YouTube site with lots of short video tutorials on the various aspects of ZOOM, and let us know if it helps.
2:00 – 3:00 PM Pacific
- Stay connected in times of isolation
- Help support our local community-run non-profit venue, Artichoke Music. They might not have enough to pay their rent during the shutdown
- Meet our local uke group leaders and teachers
- Have fun!
Just open this Zoom link to join the jam: https://zoom.us/j/662809707
Find the weekly songs updated here: https://www.tigardukes.com/this-weeks-songs
Donate to Artichoke Music here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=DYW32W4M8855Y&source=url
Who’s Hosting This Week
This week’s session is being hosted by Brian Fergus. Brian Fergus is a life long musician and music educator.
In 2008, Brian encountered a fateful moment in his life. He had decided to get either a mandolin or ukulele to “play around with.”He decided on the ukulele and he has never been the same! For the last eight years, Brian has shifted his musical focus to “all things ukulele”. He founded Woodstock Ukulele Studio in 2015, a venue for rehearsal, recording, and private and group instruction.
Brian is a third level graduate of the James Hill Ukulele Initiative. Brian plays in two ensembles: “UkeFoote” (which is also one of Brian’s performance monikers), and “Fleffikon”. UkeFoote is a duo with Ubass virtuoso Borfus Wallaby; they do covers of mostly classic popular music. Fleffikon is also a (mostly) cover band, and features the aforementioned Borfus on Ubass and also Brian’s daughter Anais on electronics.
Here is a link to Fleffikon’s first ep, Aurora:
Here is a link to UkeFoote’s first LP, Uke-Lear Destruction:
Songs for April 5th
- Sentimental Journey
- Eight Days A Week
- Happy Together
- Up on the Roof
- Lookin’ Out My Back Door
- I Can See Clearly
This week anyone who is interested in doing a solo is welcome to! Please indicate your interest in the chat when you sign in so that we can get a count. Depending on the number of volunteers we may have to spread solos out over two week due to time constraints.
1. Zoom is like a video chat with multiple people. Just click the link, and then it will prompt you to download the software.You can run it on your computer, but you can use it on your phone too. It will be difficult to have everyone playing all together because of latency, so the leader will mute everyone during the song so you’ll hear just the leader singing and playing, and then we’ll unmute between songs so that we can chat.
2. Have your music book available on a different device than you’re using for the Zoom (for example, Zoom on your computer or phone, and music on your tablet).”See” you Sunday!